Tropical Butterhorn Trees Recipe
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, butter and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; spread each with 1 tablespoon butter. Combine the coconut, sugar and orange peel; sprinkle over butter. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- 4. For one tree, roll up one wedge from the wide end. Place point side down near the top center of a greased baking sheet. Roll up two wedges; place in the second row with sides touching. Repeat, adding one roll per row, until tree has four rows. Roll up another wedge and center below last row for the trunk. Repeat for second tree, using 11 more wedges and a second baking sheet. Roll up remaining two wedges; place one on each baking sheet.
- 5. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- 6. For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, sour cream, orange juice and butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Spoon or brush over warm rolls; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 2 trees (11 rolls each) plus 2 extra rolls.
1 each: 173 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Tropical Butterhorn Trees
"The first time I tried this recipe, I followed the directions, except for making the tree part. They were good, but I wanted to try them again. The second time, I made them same way that I make cinnamon rolls, letting the dough rise 2 hours instead of 45 minutes. The results were phenomenal. I think when I make this, I will just make it like I'm making cinnamon rolls. It is easier."