In Adams, New York, Marguerite Widrick adds whipped topping to convenient pantry items to create this light and fluffy dessert. Toasted coconut and sweet pineapple give the creamy combination its tropical taste.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 4 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- 1 teaspoon maraschino cherry juice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a large
- bowl, combine the pineapple juice, extract and pudding mix; whisk
- for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Stir in pineapple and 3
- tablespoons coconut.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with remaining coconut, cherries
- and cherry juice if desired. Chill until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.