Triple Pepper Steak Sandwiches Recipe
Separate parts of recipe can be made ahead of time and the sandwich assembled quickly for a weeknight meal. This fork and knife sandwich works very well with leftover fajita meat and peppers, or as a way to use leftover grilled steak or chicken. Plus, the chipotle cream sauce can be made up to 3 days in advanced.Robert Taylor, Shawnee, Kansas
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) ciabatta bread
- 4 slices pepper Jack cheese
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute sliced onion, mushrooms and poblano pepper in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sliced steak.
- In a small saucepan, saute chopped onion in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the cream, chipotle, cumin and bouillon; cook and stir until thickened.
- Cut ciabatta in half horizontally then cut into four equal portions. Place cheese on bottom bread slices; top with steak mixture, chipotle cream sauce and remaining bread. Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Triple Pepper Steak Sandwiches in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p68
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Triple Pepper Steak Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Beef Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Beef Recipes >
- Grilled Mushrooms >
- Grilled Steak Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mushroom Grilling Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >