Triple Mash with Horseradish Bread Crumbs Recipe
Why settle for traditional mashed potatoes when you can enjoy three times the flavor? Combine spuds with rutabaga and parsnips, along with the zip of horseradish, for a taste treat.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes, parsnips, rutabaga and salt in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until toasted. Stir in horseradish; remove from heat.
- 3. Drain vegetables; return to pot. Mash vegetables over low heat, gradually adding milk, pepper and remaining butter. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup equals 199 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 515 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC