Triple-Layer Mocha Cake Recipe
This rich cake is tall and delicious with a special frosting. It makes a dramatic presentation.—Mark Brown, Birmingham, Alabama
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coffee and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. In another bowl , beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar mixture. Beat in coffee and vanilla. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 764 calories, 36 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 415 mg sodium, 107 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC