- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk,
- beating well after each addition. In a large bowl, beat egg whites
- until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking
- pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
- salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high
- heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot
- filling into egg; return to all the pan, stirring constantly. Bring
- to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the
- heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and butter. Cool to room
- temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon
- juice, peel and enough cream to achieve desired spreading
- consistency. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost top and sides
- of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 734 calories, 30 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 114 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.