A smooth and silky citrus filling separates the three layers of my lemon cake. It's a homemade favorite that friends and family never tire of. Serve it after a special spring or summer meal.—Connie Jurjevich, Atmore, Alabama
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return to all the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, peel and enough cream to achieve desired spreading consistency. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Triple-Layer Lemon Cake in Country April/May 2005, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Triple-Layer Lemon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review