Triple-Layer Ice Cream Bombe Recipe
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 pints chocolate ice cream, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 Toblerone candy bar with almonds (3.52 ounces) , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1-2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. Line a 4-qt. bowl with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Quickly spread strawberry ice cream over the bottom and up the sides to within 1/2 in. of the top of bowl. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Repeat with chocolate ice cream. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup whipping cream, sugar and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. Fold in the hazelnuts, chopped candy bar and currants. Beat remaining whipping cream until stiff peaks form; fold into custard. Spoon into ice cream shell, spreading to completely cover the top. Cover and freeze overnight.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool. Remove bombe from the freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Working quickly, spread chocolate, a little at a time, over entire bombe. Freeze until chocolate is firm. Cut into wedges. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 524 calories, 36 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Triple-Layer Ice Cream Bombe
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.