Triple-Layer Banana Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 to 10 tablespoons 2% milk
- Peanut halves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the peanut butter and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with peanuts if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice: 583 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 102g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Triple-Layer Banana Cake
"The perfect balance of sweet banana flavor and peanut butter richness."
"Only tried the cake part; don't really like peanut butter. Cake tasted just like banana bread; not what I was hoping for, but good."