Looking for a side dish with a pleasant nutty flavor? Our Test Kitchen came up with this easy pilaf recipe that's a perfect mild accompaniment to poultry, beef or fish. The combination of rice, bulgur and barley gives it a nice blend of textures.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onions in butter for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, bulgur and barley; saute for 3 minutes. Add broth,
- salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir in parsley. Yield:
- 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 208 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.