A fitting finale for any special occasion, this fudgy cake has three luscious layers for chocolate lovers to sink their forks into.
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 Milky Way candy bar (2.05 ounces each)
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a heavy saucepan, stir candy bars and remaining butter over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in buttermilk.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk mixture to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, lightly grease the sides of a large saucepan with 1 tablespoon of butter; set remaining butter aside. Combine sugar and milk; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Boil until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in marshmallow creme, chips and remaining butter.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool to 110°. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 5-7 minutes. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Triple Chocolate Delight in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p42
Reviews for Triple Chocolate Delight
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review