- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; return bacon to pan. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and bake until desired consistency. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Triple Bean Bake with Bacon
"how easy does this look? looks like a winner to me, plus I have all ingreds except butter beans but I do have other canned beans I'll use. can't wait-thanks for sharing"
"I make these with browned hamburger also. I use a bit of vinegar and less brown sugar. Mine calls for catsup also. Absolutely love the taste as it almost makes a meal in itself. They're always a hit at family potlucks."
"Love the ease of this recipe and how I can swap out different kinds of beans if I want. I also add about 1/2 pound of browned ground beef to the mix. One of my most requested dishes at a potluck!"
"Did substitute the beans because of what I had on hand! Reduced the amount of brown sugar to 1/2 cup and since we are not "sweet" folks will reduce further next time ... increased the amount of horseradish and used spicy mustard. Did add a can of pork n beans -- all in all will make again with a few more modifications. Used 2-1/2 strips of bacon (all I had) along with 8 ounces of cubed ham which was cut into smaller pieces and half a pound of hamburger. They were will received at a Church pot-luck!"
"I took this for a July 4th picnic and everyone raved, including my 93 year old father who hates horseradish!!! Made them again last week and he praised them again!!!"