- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 4 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tubes (16.3 ounces each) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add cheese and mustard; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Cool slightly.
- Flatten each biscuit into a 4-in. circle; place four biscuits in each of two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of meat mixture onto each.
- Using a sharp knife or cookie cutters, cut out jack-o'-lantern faces from remaining biscuit circles; place over meat mixture and pinch edges to seal tightly. Reroll scraps if desired and cut out stems for pumpkins.
- Brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Trick-or-Treat Turnovers
"These turned out cute and were fun to make on Halloween for dinner. Next time I will double the meat filling. There was too much biscuit dough for the amount of filling as written."
"It's cute, but should allow a pic upload."
"We have made these for the past 3 Halloweens; once with the purchased biscuits, once with homemade pie crust (make a double crust recipe), and once with bread dough (use 1.5 pounds of dough). They turned out well each time, but we prefer the biscuits or the pie crust; the dough was a little too heavy.We have also used cheddar cheese instead of the mozzarella with good results.We also used Dijon mustard one year and that was yummy too.It's a super cute way to serve a yummy sandwich; one even my husband gets excited about!"
"I made these and got great reviews from my mom and sister. We had squash soup and the extra biscuit around the edges was perfect for dunking. The meat filling is simple, yet tasty."
"I made these the other night for an upcoming Halloween Party. It can be time consuming cutting the face out with the knife - I did not use mustard, instead I used barbecue sauce and a little teriyaki marinade to enhance the flavor - very good - even better re-heated the next day. Would also recommend using smaller biscuits for younger children. This is a very delicious and kid friendly food item."
"These are adorable! Thanks for sharing your idea! : )"