Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- MILK SYRUP:
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 15 tablespoons frozen reduced-fat whipped topping
- 15 fresh strawberries
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Stir in milk and vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be thick).
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter.
- 4. Spread evenly into prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Place on a wire rack.
- 5. In a large saucepan, combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk and half-and-half. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
- 6. Cut cake into 15 pieces, leaving cake in the baking dish. Poke holes in cake with a skewer. Slowly pour a third of the milk syrup over cake, allowing syrup to absorb into the cake. Repeat twice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 7. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Top each piece with whipped topping and a strawberry. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 233 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.