Treasure Chest Birthday Cake
Swashbucklers of all ages were eager to seize a chocolaty piece of this birthday cake, although some guests thought it was too cute to cut! Folks were impressed with this edible pirate's treasure chest and loved the rich chocolate icing. —Sharon Hanson, Franklin, Tennessee
14-16 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 6 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 5 wooden skewers (three 4 inches, two 7-1/2 inches)
- Foil-covered heavy corrugated cardboard (12 inches x 7-1/2 inches)
- Candy necklaces, foil-covered chocolate coins, candy pacifiers or candies of your choice
- 2 pieces berry tie-dye Fruit Roll-Ups
- In two batches, prepare and bake cakes according to package
- directions, using two greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until fluffy; beat in the chocolate,
- vanilla, confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve spreading
- consistency. Center one cake on a 16-in. x 12-in. covered board;
- frost top. Top with remaining cake; frost top and sides of cake.
- With a metal spatula, smooth frosting to resemble boards.
- For chest lid, insert 4-in. skewers equally spaced 6 in. into one