Treasure Chest Birthday Cake Recipe
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 5 wooden skewers (three 4 inches, two 7-1/2 inches)
- Foil-covered heavy corrugated cardboard (12 inches x 7-1/2 inches)
- Candy necklaces, foil-covered chocolate coins, candy rings or candies of your choice
- 2 pieces berry tie-dye Fruit Roll-Ups
- 1. In two batches, prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using two greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in the chocolate, vanilla, confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Center one cake on a 16-in. x 12-in. covered board; frost top. Top with remaining cake; frost top and sides of cake. With a metal spatula, smooth frosting to resemble boards.
- 3. For chest lid, insert 4-in. skewers equally spaced into one long side of corrugated cardboard lid. Frost top of lid. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert star tip #21. Pipe a shell border on edges of lid and for handles on side of chest.
- 4. Place one 7-1/2-in. skewer on each side of cake top, about 3-1/2 in. from back of chest. Position lid over cake; gently insert short skewers into cake about 1 in. from back of chest. Rest lid on long skewers.
- 5. Arrange candy in chest. Cut a small keyhole from a Fruit Roll-Up; center on front of cake. Position strips of Fruit Roll-Ups on front and back of chest. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Treasure Chest Birthday Cake
"superbe ! mon petit pirate va l'adorer ! j'ai créé un lien ici : http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/fetes-pour-les-p-***-chats/"
"Made this for my grandsons 3rd birthday party. It was alot of fun and pretty easy to do."
"This cake is simple to make and looks great! Huge hit with the kids!"
"make this for my sons 25th birthday. we loved it. very cute"
"I made this for my grandson's birthday in September. All the kid's loved it!! They couldn't believe I made it. It was a big hit with all ages."
"This recipe is soooo yummy!My kids loveit!email me at email@example.com"