Traditional Yankee Pot Roast
Here's a traditional main dish that's tested and true. It's been a favorite with my family for many years. —Vera Burke, West Pittston, Pennsylvania
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat in
- oil. Remove roast and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water, salt, thyme and
- pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil. Return roast to pan. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes. Cover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until meat and
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 287 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.