Traditional Yankee Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat in oil. Remove roast and set aside.
- 2. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water, salt, thyme and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil. Return roast to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 3. Add potatoes. Cover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 each: 287 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein .
Reviews for Traditional Yankee Pot Roast
"My family loves this & its very easy to make for a sunday dinner. I follow the recipe as is and it turns out perfect every time."
"yummy I've made this recipe alot it is one of my favorites."
"My family loved it. It took the veges a lot longer to cook than the recipe call for. We ate an hour or more later than planned. I would allow more time when making this."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.