Traditional Yankee Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat in oil. Remove roast and set aside.
- 2. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water, salt, thyme and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil. Return roast to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 3. Add potatoes. Cover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 287 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Reviews for Traditional Yankee Pot Roast
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.