Traditional Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until blended. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 114 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Traditional Whole Wheat Bread
"Very good and tasty recipe, used egg whites instead of whole eggs."