Traditional Wheat Bread Recipe
When we moved to Seattle, a wonderful lady in our neighborhood, Gloria Rose, took me under wing and shared many fabulous recipes with me. This recipe of her's became a favorite of my family's.—Kelly Jo Yaksich, Bennington, Nebraska
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- All-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir into the remaining whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a surface lightly dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a loaf. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 78 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC