Traditional Wheat Bread Recipe
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- All-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir into the remaining whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a surface lightly dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a loaf. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 78 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Traditional Wheat Bread
"yummy! tastes good for the whole family and even meets all of our diet limitations!"
"This bread is simple to make, and very good."