Traditional Swiss Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle over steak and pound into both sides. In a skillet over medium heat, brown steak on both sides in oil.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with onion and green pepper. Drizzle with soy sauce; sprinkle with garlic salt and remaining pepper.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Traditional Swiss Steak(2)
Sort By :
I double the soy sauce and garlic salt for this recipe.
I have made this recipe a handful of times and it always comes out moist and delicious. The beef is very tender and its very easy to put together. I serve mine with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.