Traditional Swiss Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle over steak and pound into both sides. In a skillet over medium heat, brown steak on both sides in oil.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with onion and green pepper. Drizzle with soy sauce; sprinkle with garlic salt and remaining pepper.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 215 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Traditional Swiss Steak
"I double the soy sauce and garlic salt for this recipe."
"I have made this recipe a handful of times and it always comes out moist and delicious. The beef is very tender and its very easy to put together. I serve mine with mashed potatoes or egg noodles."