Traditional Stuffed Peppers
"My husband, Steve, loves these stuffed peppers," says Karen Gentry of Somerset, Kentucky. "They're so filling and easy to prepare. I like to serve them with mashed potatoes and coleslaw for a no-fuss supper.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 large green peppers
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Place peppers in a large
- saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain and immediately place in ice water; invert on paper towels.
- In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup tomato
- sauce, rice, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with
- remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes
- or until peppers are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 430 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,182 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein.