Traditional Sponge Cake Recipe
This light and spongy cake makes a fitting finale to any meal.—Arlene Murphy, Beverly Hills, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup chocolate ice cream topping
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and salt; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in water and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to yolk mixture; mix well.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 55-60 minutes or cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the pan; cool completely.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Slice; drizzle with ice cream topping. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 229 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC