Instead of using a pastry crust, this recipe creates a savory crust with mashed potatoes. The bacon flavor in the filling is fabulous! I think you and your family will love this pleasing pie.—Chris Eschweiler, Dallas, Texas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 5-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, cook bacon, onion, garlic and oregano until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, olives and beef. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, combine the mashed potatoes, eggs, butter, cilantro and salt. Spread half of the potato mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Layer with beef mixture and remaining potato mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Brush the pie with melted butter. Bake 10 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Shepherd's Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p270
Reviews for Traditional Shepherd's Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review