Making scones is very simple I learned when my wife and I hosted an English tea. These are light and very tasty. —Chuck Hinz, Parma, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Jam of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking
- soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a
- small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended; add to crumb
- mixture just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each portion into a 5-in. circle. Cut each
- circle into six wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm
- with jam if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 scone (calculated without jam) equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.