Traditional Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties; dredge in 2 tablespoons flour. In a small skillet, brown patties on both sides in oil; drain. Set patties aside.
- 2. Add the remaining flour to the skillet; whisk in water until smooth. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon. Add the onion and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Return patties to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Serve gravy over patties. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon) equals 476 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 210 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.