- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into two patties; dredge in 2 tablespoons flour. In a small skillet, brown patties on both sides in oil; drain. Set patties aside.
- Add the remaining flour to the skillet; whisk in water until smooth. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon. Add the onion and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Return patties to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Serve gravy over patties. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Traditional Salisbury Steak
Sort By :
"The meat had really good flavor. I would double the gravy part next time though."
"to me this recipe had too much ketchup and didn't really make a gravy. I used cub steak, which worked out fine, but I will be searching for another recipe next time I want to make Salsbury Steak"
"Good Salisbury Steak. If I make it again, I would follow the first reviewer's suggestion to saute the onions before adding to the sauce so they are softer."
"Just made this tonight and my husband loved it. When he said I could make it again, I knew he liked it. I made some slight changes to the recipe. I used 1 lb. of meat, Campbell's Beef Consumme instead of water and beef boullion granules, and 8 oz. of sliced fresh mushrooms instead of canned. I prefer the Baby Bella mushrooms. They have a beefy texture and taste great with this recipe. I also sauteed the onions and mushrooms before adding to the sauce. I served with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. YUM!"
"My husband enjoyed!"