Traditional Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 eggs
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place pastry in plates; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
- For filling, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and ginger; beat just until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into pastry shells.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool pies on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Reviews for Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Sort By :
"I recall making this recipe and I was very pleased with the results. What I had done was use my own standard recipe for pie crust for a 2 crust pie, but dividing it between 2 pie pans!I used: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 cup vegetable shortening, 4 to 6 Tbsp. cold water-I added just enough water to hold the dough together after cutting in the shortening!Other than that, I'd used the pumpkin filling as the recipe stated! This is an excellent way to get 2 pies out of 1 recipe! delowenstein"
"My first attempt at homemade Pumpkin pie. Easy to make and delicious. The recipe states that it makes 2 pies so I just used 2 standard size crusts and it came out perfect."
"The only pumpkin pie I use, I add extra spice, skip the ginger and add pumpkin pie spice. Always delicious. Use deep dish pie pan"
"I love traditional pumpkin pie! I added a little more spice ( allspice and a little more nutmeg ) as well as molasses to my pie ( have been for years )! has been a request for dessert since my mom taught me!"