Traditional Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 eggs
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place pastry in plates; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
- 2. For filling, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and ginger; beat just until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into pastry shells.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool pies on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
1 slice: 321 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Traditional Pumpkin Pie
"This pie was easy to make and really good. The three hours cooling in the refrigerator did make it more like a custard."
"I recall making this recipe and I was very pleased with the results. What I had done was use my own standard recipe for pie crust for a 2 crust pie, but dividing it between 2 pie pans!I used: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 cup vegetable shortening, 4 to 6 Tbsp. cold water-I added just enough water to hold the dough together after cutting in the shortening!Other than that, I'd used 1/2 brown and 1/2 granulated sugar. The rest of the filling I'd kept as is. I'd prepared these pies 11/25/14 for Thanksgiving Day! This is an excellent way to get 2 pies out of 1 recipe! delowenstein"
"My first attempt at homemade Pumpkin pie. Easy to make and delicious. The recipe states that it makes 2 pies so I just used 2 standard size crusts and it came out perfect."
"The only pumpkin pie I use, I add extra spice, skip the ginger and add pumpkin pie spice. Always delicious. Use deep dish pie pan"
"I love traditional pumpkin pie! I added a little more spice ( allspice and a little more nutmeg ) as well as molasses to my pie ( have been for years )! has been a request for dessert since my mom taught me!"
"My spouse would never eat pumpkin pie until I made this one."
"the pie was very good, BUT....Your recipe needs to be more clear on the crust size. YOU MUST BUY OR MAKE DEEP DISH CRUSTS....was very upset when I made this for Thanksgiving. no where does it read deep dish, So I got the reg. size, soooo much filling left over, had to make a special trip to the market for another crust, not happy..."
"I'm not a pumpkin pie lover, but this one is amazing. It's the only recipe I use now and it's actually my new favorite pie to have at Thanksgiving."
"This is the FIRST homemade pumpkin pie I've ever made. First of all, I love it because it makes TWO. This was absolutely DELICIOUS and I will be making it again. I had a couple recipes to choose from and I chose this one. The only thing I did different was added honey to it because I saw it in another recipe and I love honey. OUTSTANDING!!!"
"I have been making this pie now for many years and I get so many compliments. I now double the recipe and give them to my neighbors and friends, one year I made 8 of them!!!! Awesome Pie!!!"
"This is my "go to" pumpkin pie every Thanksgiving. I have received countless raves and recipe requests."
"Pumpkin pie is one of my fave's. I've never made a homemade one until I used this recipe. Far succeeds store bought pumpkin pie!! Very simple recipe and I used the frozen deep dish pie shells rather than making the shell. Absolutely delicious!!"
"Pumpkin pie is my favorite kind, this is the best pie I have ever had!"
"I don't really like pumpkin pie, but this is the only one I'll make and eat ~ it is so yummy."