Traditional Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 eggs
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place pastry in plates; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
- 2. For filling, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and ginger; beat just until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into pastry shells.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool pies on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
1 slice: 321 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Traditional Pumpkin Pie
"This pie was easy to make and really good. The three hours cooling in the refrigerator did make it more like a custard."
"I recall making this recipe and I was very pleased with the results. What I had done was use my own standard recipe for pie crust for a 2 crust pie, but dividing it between 2 pie pans!I used: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 cup vegetable shortening, 4 to 6 Tbsp. cold water-I added just enough water to hold the dough together after cutting in the shortening!Other than that, I'd used 1/2 brown and 1/2 granulated sugar. The rest of the filling I'd kept as is. I'd prepared these pies 11/25/14 for Thanksgiving Day! This is an excellent way to get 2 pies out of 1 recipe! delowenstein"
"My first attempt at homemade Pumpkin pie. Easy to make and delicious. The recipe states that it makes 2 pies so I just used 2 standard size crusts and it came out perfect."
"The only pumpkin pie I use, I add extra spice, skip the ginger and add pumpkin pie spice. Always delicious. Use deep dish pie pan"
"I love traditional pumpkin pie! I added a little more spice ( allspice and a little more nutmeg ) as well as molasses to my pie ( have been for years )! has been a request for dessert since my mom taught me!"
"My spouse would never eat pumpkin pie until I made this one."
"the pie was very good, BUT....Your recipe needs to be more clear on the crust size. YOU MUST BUY OR MAKE DEEP DISH CRUSTS....was very upset when I made this for Thanksgiving. no where does it read deep dish, So I got the reg. size, soooo much filling left over, had to make a special trip to the market for another crust, not happy..."
"I'm not a pumpkin pie lover, but this one is amazing. It's the only recipe I use now and it's actually my new favorite pie to have at Thanksgiving."
"This is the FIRST homemade pumpkin pie I've ever made. First of all, I love it because it makes TWO. This was absolutely DELICIOUS and I will be making it again. I had a couple recipes to choose from and I chose this one. The only thing I did different was added honey to it because I saw it in another recipe and I love honey. OUTSTANDING!!!"
"I have been making this pie now for many years and I get so many compliments. I now double the recipe and give them to my neighbors and friends, one year I made 8 of them!!!! Awesome Pie!!!"
"This is my "go to" pumpkin pie every Thanksgiving. I have received countless raves and recipe requests."
"Pumpkin pie is one of my fave's. I've never made a homemade one until I used this recipe. Far succeeds store bought pumpkin pie!! Very simple recipe and I used the frozen deep dish pie shells rather than making the shell. Absolutely delicious!!"
"Pumpkin pie is my favorite kind, this is the best pie I have ever had!"
"I don't really like pumpkin pie, but this is the only one I'll make and eat ~ it is so yummy."