- 7 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring, optional
- Place popcorn in a large baking pan; keep warm in a 200° oven.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 235° (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat. Add the butter, vanilla and food coloring if desired; stir until butter is melted. Immediately pour over popcorn and stir until evenly coated.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, quickly shape into 3-in. balls, dipping hands in cold water to prevent sticking. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Traditional Popcorn Balls
Sort By :
"I absolutely love this app. Thank you."
"Don't forget to take the unpopped "old maids" out of the popcorn before forming into balls. We learned that the hard way. Recipe is delicious, though. :)"
"This was super easy and had a great flavor. I loved how chewy they were but not too sticky to handle. I gave these as Christmas gifts! They were so fun to make."
"Easy recipe to follow and the popcorn balls look and taste great."
"After you coat the popcorn if you let the popcorn cool just a minute or two they form into balls better. They taste great though and I made them into mini balls both green and red and wrapped them in cellophane with a little ribbon. I put them in a bowl and set them out for my littlest guests."