Traditional Pita Bread Recipe
My husband taught me how to make this pita bread when we were first dating. He always has his eye out for good recipes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 5 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise.
- 3. Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500° for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 pita breads.
1 serving (1/2 each) equals 115 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 394 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC