- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise.
- Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500° for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 pita breads.
Reviews for Traditional Pita Bread
Sort By :
"mine came out very crunchy and kind of hard but it did taste good and I will try again"
"great, a fun recipe to make with kids"
"I swapped out 1 cup of white flour for whole wheat and added honey. They were soft and delicious, and the perfect base for a TOH beef gyros recipe!"
"This recipe makes the perfect pita bread. I just have not figured out how to make it into a pocket. I just fold it for now."