- 3 slices bread
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Tear bread into 2-inch pieces; place in a blender. Cover and pulse to form coarse crumbs; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg, milk, cheese, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Bake meat loaf without glaze. Securely wrap cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, partially thaw meat loaf in refrigerator overnight. Prepare and spread glaze over top; reheat on a greased shallow baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Traditional Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I added italian seasoning, 1 lb hamburger, 1 lb turkey and all of us like it."
"My husband likes this (made with beef), so this is the one I will continue to make. I did add some chopped bell pepper."
"I've been making this meatloaf since I first saw it. It's the only meatloaf I like to be honest. I always run the onions finely through the food processor which gives it the onion taste without getting chunks of onion and I shred my carrots well. It's just so good!"
"it was okay, if I would make it again I would shred my carrots a little thinner."