Traditional Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; spread over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 394 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.