Traditional Meat Loaf
Topped with a sweet sauce, Traditional Meat Loaf tastes so good that you might want to double the recipe so everyone can have seconds. "This meat loaf also freezes well," adds Gail Graham of Maple Ridge, British Columbia.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first eight
- ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a
- loaf. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; spread
- over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until no pink remains and a
- thermometer reads 160°. Drain. Let stand 10 minutes before
- slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot