- 3 slices bread
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Tear bread into 2-inch pieces; place in a blender. Cover and pulse to form coarse crumbs; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg, milk, cheese, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf; reheat on a greased shallow baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Traditional Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I added italian seasoning, 1 lb hamburger, 1 lb turkey and all of us like it."
"My husband likes this (made with beef), so this is the one I will continue to make. I did add some chopped bell pepper."
"I've been making this meatloaf since I first saw it. It's the only meatloaf I like to be honest. I always run the onions finely through the food processor which gives it the onion taste without getting chunks of onion and I shred my carrots well. It's just so good!"
"it was okay, if I would make it again I would shred my carrots a little thinner."