Traditional Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
Sort By :
"I liked this recipe and would have given it a 5-star rating, but the meat sauce was too dry. I added a cup of beef broth during the last half hour and it was fine."
"THE best lasagna I've ever made or eaten! A perfect 10 from the whole family :)"
"I've been making lasagna for over 40 years for my family, but decided to update the taste and ran across this recipe in Taste of Home a couple years ago. I use this recipe exclusively now. It's very meaty with the beef and pork and that is the best combination. The seasoning and combination of cheeses is perfect. I had my doubts about the use of cottage cheese, but it cooks down so there are no curds and keeps the lasagna from drying out. I made this a number of times and it comes out perfect every time. I call that foolproof!!"
"My husband and I really loved this lasagna. The only change I will make is to cut down on the cheese."
"I usually go with jar sauce to save time, but wanted to make an extra special dinner for family staying with me. This recipe was awesome, so good, they could not stop bragging. Thank you Taste of Home!"