Traditional Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
Sort By :
"Horrible recipe. I am actually quite surprised it turned out so horribly. I spent $30 on all the ingredients and almost knew it would turn out amazing due to all the great reviews and five star rating. There was not nearly enough sauce to call it lasagna. The flavors were way too strong and the pork sausage was the wrong choice. There was also not enough lasagna noodles in this recipe. So many things I didn't like about this dish. What a waste of food and time. Don't waste your time."
"This is absolutely delicious. Only change I did was use half cottage cheese and half ricotta of the total 32 ounces of both."
"wonderful lasagna, I too used oven ready lasagna perfect!"
"DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COOK THE LASAGNA NOODLES ! THEY TURN OUT JUST FINE...."
"This was easy to make and SO good.....it's a keeper !"