Traditional Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
Sort By :
"This was fantastic! I didnt add any salt, but other than that, I didn't change a thing."
"Super salty. Next time I will not add the salt the recipe calls for and I'll also use "no salt added" tomato sauce and paste. I think minus the over salty taste this would be really good."
"It's still in the oven, but am I the only one who thought there wasn't enough meat mixture in one cup to cover the bottom of the 9x13 baking dish?"
"I liked this recipe and would have given it a 5-star rating, but the meat sauce was too dry. I added a cup of beef broth during the last half hour and it was fine."
"THE best lasagna I've ever made or eaten! A perfect 10 from the whole family :)"