- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add parsley; stir in cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 20 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
"Love, love, love this recipe!! It is so delicious, everyone raves over it. Will never make another lasagna recipe....ever!"
"One of the best lasagna's I've had. I changed the beef and pork to only italian sausage. It was delicious!"
"This will be my go to lasagna from now on. Perfect! Served it Christmas Eve to rave reviews from family and friends."
"This has to be the best lasagna i have ever had. Only thing i changed is i used 1lb hot Italian sausage and 1/2lb gr beef. Amazing flavors. I love the provolone in this. This is my first time not popping a jar for the sauce and i will never go back. Thank you for sharing this recipe"
"Pat Milo try it with real mozzarella and ricotta. cottage cheese cannot compare. you can leave out the meat. we like it without meat."
"Made this last week, it was the best lasagna I have ever made! So said hubby. Only changes I made was to use Italian sausage instead of the pork, and no boil noodles. I did add about a cup of water to the sauce to provide enough moisture for the noodles. The recipe is a keeper! Yes, it takes longer to cook, but so worth the effort!"
"Emily and graysmommy it might not be a bad idea to stick with take out if you can't make this delicious lasagna"
"Made this yesterday. I used 24 oz. pasta sauce with basil instead of plain tomato sauce. I also added 1t oregano. Used non-boil lasagna. Assembled everything a day ahead and cooked it 50 minutes and refrigerated it (covered tightly). The next day, I warmed it 20 minutes at 250 and 10 minutes at 350 until the edges bubbled a bit. It was a huge hit. Next time I will use real mozzarella cheese and shred it myself, but this time I didn't have the energy for that. I think it will make it a 6 star if it has real cheese instead of the prepacked shredded cheese, which has fillers. This photo is a bit deceptive. My pan was filled to the top."
"Made this today for all of my family..Everyone loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe?"
"I have been making this recipe for years, year-round. It can't be beat. When I don't have ricotta it's still wonderful."