Traditional Lamb Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add the onions, carrots and remaining oil to pan. cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, pepper and lamb; Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a large bowl; set aside and keep warm. Pour pan juices into another bowl; set aside.
- In the Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, chives, thyme, and meat and vegetables; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Traditional Lamb Stew(5)
Sort By :
Absolutely wonderful recipe. So very delicious. Fresh herbs at the last minute. Does not require white wine which I never have on hand.
Added cream to give more gravy to the stew and also fresh rosemary
This is the best Lamb stew I have every had.
I have made it over and over. I have passed this on to family who say they don't care for Lamb, but love this!
Everyone loved this stew. I plan to make it again for St. Patrick's Day.
Best lamb stew I ever made. Easy, flavorful. Husband loved it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >