- 1-1/2 pounds lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add the onions, carrots and remaining oil to pan. cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, pepper and lamb; Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a large bowl; set aside and keep warm. Pour pan juices into another bowl; set aside.
- In the Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, chives, thyme, and meat and vegetables; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Traditional Lamb Stew
Sort By :
"This was a great recipe, the adults as well as the kids enjoyed it, it is officially in the rotation. I did double the broth and of course the flour and seasonings. I also put the meat and juices in the oven without the veggies for a half hour and then added the veggies and baked for an hour. It was easy, beautiful and delicious. Thanks much for the recipe."
"Great recipe. I doubled the beef broth to get all my vegetables covered. 1 1/2 hours in the oven.. Also doubled the spices to accommodate the extra broth. I used two tablespoons of flour, and still had to use a tablespoon of corn starch in order to get the gravy to thicken."
"Delicious but I did make one simple change, I deglazed the pot with some red wine before adding potatoes and broth. I also added parsnips and mushrooms as I had them in the house and they needed to be eaten."
"Best lamb stew I have ever had."
"Absolutely wonderful recipe. So very delicious. Fresh herbs at the last minute. Does not require white wine which I never have on hand."