You don’t have to be Italian to love this easy-to-make soup! I find it's very popular when I serve it, and makes a great meal with hot crusty Italian bread or garlic bread. —Mary Sheetz, Carmel, Indiana
Featured In: 33 Ways to Turn Rotisserie Chicken into Dinner
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon raisins, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed rotisserie chicken
- 2/3 cup uncooked acini di pepe pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, cut into thin strips
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in small batches; drain. Add the broth and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken and pasta; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Italian Wedding Soup in Easy Italian Cookbook 2013 2013
Reviews for Traditional Italian Wedding Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2015
"Used ground chuck instead of beef (this tip given to me by my Italian friend). The meatballs turned out fabulous! The soup was very tasty! My family enjoyed this very much!"
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2013
"Good one,,,,easy to prepare"