Traditional Holiday Stuffing Recipe
Sausage and sage add a gourmet taste to this stuffing. It's perfect for large family gatherings, but you can also save some for later. —Lorraine Brauckhoff, Zolfo Springs, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (12 ounces) reduced-fat bulk pork sausage or breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) day-old white bread, cubed
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Remove from heat; stir in mayonnaise, mustard, sage and poultry seasoning.
- 2. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add sausage mixture and toss. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and broth; pour over bread cubes and stir gently to combine. Transfer to two 3-qt. baking dishes coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 12-18 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 24 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 202 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC