This classic Thanksgiving stuffing recipe is packed with bold flavors, like fresh herbs, smoky bacon and savory sausage. Recipe provided by Jones Sausage
- 1 (16 oz) package Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon
- 1 loaf sour dough bread, cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 (12 oz) Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Cook bacon according to package directions. Place cooked bacon on paper towels to drain and cool. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cubed sourdough on 2 baking sheets. Bake 10-15 minutes, stirring bread occasionally until toasted, but not browned. Place toasted bread cubes into extra large bowl. Set aside.
- Butter 9x13-inch casserole dish. Set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage using spatula to break it up as it cooks. Add 2 tablespoons sage. Cook through, but do not brown. Remove sausage from skillet using slotted spoon and add to bowl with bread cubes.
- Leave 2 tablespoons of sausage drippings in pan (drain any extra) and add 2 tablespoons butter and garlic to skillet. Cook garlic, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Add onion and peppers. Cook until onions are translucent; add remaining herbs, including remaining sage, to skillet. Cook 2 minutes stirring frequently. Add onion herb mixture to bowl with bread cubes.
- Add chicken stock and remaining butter to skillet and scrape browned bits from bottom of pan as it cooks. Bring to a bubble (once you see the first bubbles), remove from heat and pour over bread cubes. Add eggs. Toss gently until combined and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more. Yield: 12 servings
Originally published as Traditional Herb Stuffing with Bacon and Sausage in Jones Sausage 2016
Reviews for Traditional Herb Stuffing with Bacon and Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review