Traditional English Muffins Recipe
Our neighbors love these yeast treats I make. They tell me my muffins taste so much better than store-bought ones!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 2 cups water. Beat in eggs, honey, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining water. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 4-in. circles. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until bottom is browned. Turn and bake 7 minutes longer or until second side is browned. Cool on wire racks.
- 5. To serve, split with a fork and toast. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 139 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC