- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 2 cups water. Beat in eggs, honey, salt, 2 cups flour and remaining water. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 4-in. circles. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until bottom is browned. Turn and bake 7 minutes longer or until second side is browned. Cool on wire racks.
- To serve, split with a fork and toast. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Traditional English Muffins in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p12
Reviews for Traditional English Muffins(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review