Traditional Caramel Flan Recipe
This delectable dessert is baked over a layer of caramelized sugar, so when it's inverted, a delicious golden sauce runs down the edges of the flan and forms a pool on the serving platter.—Mary Ann Kosmas, Minneapolis, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a heavy saucepan or skillet over medium-low, heat 3/4 cup sugar. Do not stir. When sugar is melted, reduce heat to low; cook until syrup is golden brown, stir constantly. Quickly pour into an ungreased souffle dish or 2-qt. round baking dish, tilting to coat bottom of dish. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan.
- 3. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, whisk eggs, salt and remaining sugar. Stir 1 cup of warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Add vanilla. Pour into prepared dish.
- 4. Place dish in a large baking pan. Fill larger pan with boiling water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove flan dish to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until thoroughly chilled. Run a knife around edge and invert onto a rimmed serving platter. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 294 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 192 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC