Traditional Caramel Flan Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan or skillet over medium-low, heat 3/4 cup sugar. Do not stir. When sugar is melted, reduce heat to low; cook until syrup is golden brown, stir constantly. Quickly pour into an ungreased souffle dish or 2-qt. round baking dish, tilting to coat bottom of dish. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan.
- Remove from the heat. In a bowl, whisk eggs, salt and remaining sugar. Stir 1 cup of warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Add vanilla. Pour into prepared dish.
- Place dish in a large baking pan. Fill larger pan with boiling water to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove flan dish to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until thoroughly chilled. Run a knife around edge and invert onto a rimmed serving platter. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Traditional Caramel Flan(2)
Sort By :
This flan turned out great! I used a 2 quart casserole and it filled the casserole nicely and came out easily for a nice size flan. I tried another recipe that included sweetened condensed milk the same evening, and that one was overpoweringly sweet, not nearly as good as this recipe which has more variety of flavor and tastes more like the traditional flan I've had in the past. Texture was great, do watch out for heating the sugar too long, but you want it to liquify. I served this flan after refrigerating just as the directions state, and it turned out great!
I made this for a friend. Having never made flan I was a little nervous. Turned out Great. You have to watch the sugar so it doesn't burn and it is best to refigerate overnight. Great texture and taste.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Custard >
- Cinco de Mayo Desserts >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Creme Caramel >
- Custard Recipes >
- Desserts >