- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, sugar, parsley, yeast, salt,
- basil, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. In a
- saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry
- ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a
- floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and let
- rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the cheeses, eggs and parsley; set aside. Punch dough down.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out two-thirds of dough into a
- 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish (edges will hang over sides). Press pastry onto bottom
- and up sides of dish.
- Spread filling over crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of
- dish; place over filling. Trim edges; pinch to seal. Cut slits in
- top. beat egg and water; brush over top. Bake at 350° for 60-65
- minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into filling reads
- 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes; cut into squares. Yield: 15-20
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 390 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 685 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.