Traditional Beef Potpie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, cheese, salt, pepper and thyme; cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water just until moistened. Form into a ball. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil. Add mushrooms; saute for 1 minute. Add 1 cup broth, salt, thyme, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; gradually add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Reduce heat; keep warm.
- 4. Roll two-thirds of the dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Roll remaining pastry into a 6-in. circle; cut into six wedges.
- 5. Spoon beef mixture into crust. Place pastry wedges on top. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 558 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 897mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Traditional Beef Potpie
"try already made pie crust and use the filling information provided above"