Traditional Beef Potpie Recipe
This is one of my family's favorite dishes. Nothing is as satisfying as a hearty slice of this mouthwatering potpie.—Beth Armstrong, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, cheese, salt, pepper and thyme; cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water just until moistened. Form into a ball. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil. Add mushrooms; saute for 1 minute. Add 1 cup broth, salt, thyme, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Add potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; gradually add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Reduce heat; keep warm.
- 4. Roll two-thirds of the dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Roll remaining pastry into a 6-in. circle; cut into six wedges.
- 5. Spoon beef mixture into crust. Place pastry wedges on top. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 558 calories, 26 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 897 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 35 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC