Traditional Beef Potpie Recipe
This is one of my family's favorite dishes. Nothing is as satisfying as a hearty slice of this mouthwatering potpie.Beth Armstrong, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a bowl, combine flour, cheese, salt, pepper and thyme; cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water just until moistened. Form into a ball. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil. Add mushrooms; saute for 1 minute. Add 1 cup broth, salt, thyme, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender. Combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; gradually add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Reduce heat; keep warm.
- Roll two-thirds of the dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Line the bottom and sides of an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Roll remaining pastry into a 6-in. circle; cut into six wedges.
- Spoon beef mixture into crust. Place pastry wedges on top. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Traditional Beef Potpie in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p52
Reviews for Traditional Beef Potpie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2008
try already made pie crust and use the filling information provided above
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >