- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook beef and pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add the onions, vegetables, potatoes and seasonings.
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with bottom crusts; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill each with about 5 cups filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit tops of pies; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry and brush tops with egg. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°. Cover edges loosely with foil and bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crusts are golden brown. Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each).
Originally published as Tourtieres in Complete Freezer Cookbook bookazine 2012 2012, p26
Reviews for Tourtieres
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review